This Sunday is my Birthday (Yay!). I am definitely a lover of anything ‘birthday related’ – I mean who isn’t, right?! To celebrate, I wanted to do something a little different for this week’s blog post…
As a photographer I try to learn as much about my clients, and their animals, as I can; to truly capture their life and character in the photographs I take. I therefore thought that it’s only fair if I share a bit about me.
So, below are 10 things you may not have known about me.
Some are factual, some funny, and others are dear to my heart.
Are you sitting comfortably? (With a cup of tea and biscuit of course)…
Then let’s get stuck in!
1) I am 1/8th Chinese, 7/8th Essex. My Grandma’s Dad was Chinese (my Great Grandad). This is a truth I use when I play Two Truths & One Lie, as no one ever expects it!
2) I had dancing lessons from the age of 2.5 to 14ish. I took part in Ballet, Tap, Modern, Jazz and a Performing Arts Class. Since then, I have also tried Street and Salsa. In another life, I would have loved to work in Theatre.
Taken in 2012 at one of our Dance Shows. I’m in the centre.
3) I am allergic to animals… I know, the irony isn’t wasted on me either! Both my asthma and eczema contribute to these allergies. I’m sure you are wondering why I chose to work with animals if my body is literally telling me not to. I tried avoiding animals and instead photographed dancers and headshots for a studio for a few years, and I loved it – but my passion is for the countryside and animals – I missed it. We only get one life, so I’m determined to make the most of it, so I medicate up and then I’m ready to go!
4) When I was at Primary School I took extra lessons at lunch to learn Russian. Sadly I can now only remember one word: ‘Privyet’, which is an informal way to say hello.
5) I have never owned a dog! Partially due to family allergies but also other commitments – however in the next year or so, this might all change… keep your eyes peeled!
6) I have an unusual dislike to escalators… in my opinion, stairs should not move!
7) I’m naturally quite a messy & disorganised person – or the ‘creator of organised chaos’ as I like to call it. I have therefore had to work really hard on skills to help me with this whilst running my business. That’s why I have 2 diaries and a wall calendar, to keep me in check.
8) In Sixth Form I had a phase of loving Shoulder Pads, Big Belts & Bold Jackets, Bright Lipstick and Head Scarves – these therefore dictated my outfits for the two years. I think it’s safe to say that my fashion tastes have calmed down a little since then!
One of my favourite Sixth Form Outfits.
As you can see, I’ve always been the height of fashion! 😉
9) When I was little, maybe 6 or 7, I went to my school’s summer fete and I was drawn to having a go at ‘Hook a Duck’ (of course!). If you are not familiar with it, there’s a kids paddling pool filled with water and rubber ducks floating on it. Using a hook, you would have to catch a duck, before looking at the number/mark written underneath it – if the number/mark matched a prize you would win that prize. Anyway, I got a little too excited and decided to try and hook the duck furthest away from me, as I was certain that it would be a winner. I leant a little too far forward and ended up in the paddling pool floating with the ducks! I spent the rest of the day walking around in soaking wet clothes. Now every time we see a ‘Hook a Duck’ stand, my parents start laughing and taking the mickey. Did I mention I was only 6/7? Give me a break!
10) I have lots of dreams and plans for the future. Now, I guess you may have seen me mention that I’d love to have a Small Holding in Wales looking after Vulnerable Native Breeds; but did you know on the farm I’d also love to – have a Wedding Barn Venue, run an Ice Cream Making Business, Train Sheepdogs and help with the Mountain Rescue. I don’t know where I’m going to find the time to fit it all in, but for me that is literally living the dream.
So there we have it, there’s 10 very random things you now know about me.